Care During Chemotherapy and Beyond
How to Increase Calories in your Diet
Butter and margarine
- Add to soups, potatoes, hot cereals, grits, rice, noodles, and cooked vegetables.
- Stir into cream soups, sauces, and gravies.
- Combine with herbs and seasonings, and spread on cooked meats, hamburgers, and fish
and egg dishes.
Increase Calories Using Cream-Based Ingredients
- Use sweetened on hot chocolate, desserts, gelatin, puddings, fruits, pancakes, and
- Fold unsweetened into mashed potatoes or vegetable purees.
- Use in soups, sauces, egg dishes, batters, puddings.
- Put on hot or cold cereal.
- Mix with noodles, pasta, rice, and mashed potatoes.
- Pour on chicken or fish while baking.
- Spread on breads, muffins, fruit slices, crackers.
- Roll into balls and coat with nuts, granola, or wheat germ.
- Add to cream soups, baked potatoes and potato dishes, macaroni and cheese, vegetables,
Increase Calories with Salad Dressings and Mayonnaise
- Spread on sandwiches, crackers.
- Use in meat, fish, egg, or vegetable salads.
Honey, Jam, and Sugar
- Add to bread, cereal, milk drinks, and fruit and yogurt desserts.
- Glaze for meats such as chicken.
- Use in cookie, muffin, and bread batters.
- Sprinkle on vegetables, yogurt, ice cream, pudding, custard, and fruit.
- Use as snacks, with breakfast, in baked products, etc.
- To increase calories by using eggs, mix extra eggs into
batter for French toast, pancakes, custard, pudding, quiches.
- Beat into mashed potatoes, vegetable purees, and sauces. (Cook the products further
after eggs are added.)
Increase Calories During Food Preparation
- Bread meats and vegetables, fry or sauté foods instead of baking or broiling, add
sauces or gravies to food.
Note: We strongly encourage you to talk with your health care professional
about your specific medical condition and treatments. The information contained
in this website is meant to be helpful and educational, but is not a substitute
for medical advice.
Chemocare.com is designed to provide the latest information about chemotherapy to patients and their families, caregivers and friends. For information about the 4th Angel Mentoring Program visit www.4thangel.org